USTA Intermountain Section offers a variety of opportunities for junior players of all skill levels. Beginning and intermediate junior players will participate in Junior Recreation programs offered throughout the section. As a junior progresses, he or she will play in more competitive tournaments and may choose to pursue a sectional ranking.
In March of 2012, the United States Tennis Association announced a series of reforms to the National Junior Tournament Schedule designed to make the system more efficient, effective and affordable for current players and those who will enter the pipeline through the association’s 10 and Under Tennis initiative.
2013 INTERMOUNTAIN JUNIOR CHANGES
All of the following changes were passed by the USTA Intermountain Junior Programs Committee:
- Summer Sectional will be a limited draw size of 64
- Snowball Sectional – All consolation matches will be a third set 10-point tie breaker
- All Circuits and Sectionals will not host a doubles consolation draw
- There will be NO refund of entry fee if entered into multiple age divisions (within Circuits) and fail to inform tournament director of withdrawal within 7 days after entry deadline
- All National Level 4 events (Snowball, Easter Circuit and Great Pumpkin) –
- continue to not complete the finals of the consolation to keep the event shortened by one day
- ONLY doubles will begin on the check-in/first day (Friday) no earlier than 3 p.m.
LEVELS OF PLAY:
DISTRICT - 10 and Under Tennis, Quickstart, Junior Team Tennis, District-sanctioned Tournaments, Competitive Training Centers
SECTION - USTA Intermountain Circuit Tournaments, USTA Intermountain Sectional Championships, Regional Training Centers
NATIONAL - USTA Regional Tournaments, USTA National Open Championships, USTA National Championships, Zone Team Championships, Intersectional Championships, Boys and Girls 18s National Team Championships, USTA Training Centers
For more detailed information on Sectional policies and procedures, refer to the Intermountain Junior Player Handbook.
For more information on local or District events, contact your District representative:
Colorado - Jason Colter, (303) 695-4116, Ext. 205
Idaho - Steve Bickham, (208) 322-5150, Ext. 203
Montana - Jesse Peach, (406) 579-9609
Nevada - Rob Merriman, (702) 792-8384, Ext. 203
Utah - Robin Wise, (801) 944-8782, Ext. 13
Wyoming - Dave Boon, (307) 742-0892
For more information about Section events, contact USTA Intermountain Junior Tennis Manager Tiffany Milner at (303) 695-4117, Ext. 224.